Jurassic Park from MicroGaming bucked the recent trend of new games – by instantly becoming a big hit with slot fans around the world. Based on the huge movie franchise, Jurassic Park slot looks great, it has enough features to keep you interested, and some impressive 3D graphics too. This is an ‘all ways’ 243 winning combo slot. In addition to the progressive feature round, there is a random T-rex warning mode which can add some welcome wins to your bankroll.
Here is what you’ll find in this detailed Jurassic Park review: First below the slot setup and basics like winning combos and coin choices are covered. After that the bonus features, which center around a variable free spins round. Next the device compatibility is covered. Finally, my thoughts on how this MicroGaming title fits in with the many other slot choices you have available.
Jurassic Park Slot Review – Basics
This slot does away with winning lines, and makes every combination starting on the left hand side a potential winner. This makes it easier to follow wins, since you’ll know that any symbol lining up in consecutive reels ‘counts’ (as long as it starts in reel 1 on the left).
Since you do not have the option to select lines, this game gives you the choice of up to 10 coins. The minimum spin amount is 25c with the maximum a huge $125 per spin. When you look at the pay table, the win amounts seem small. What you need to keep in mind with the 243-way slots, is that you’ll get more of them than the typical 25 or 30 line video slot games. When you hit the features (see below) this can result in a huge number of these small wins in any one spin.
Most of the symbols are dinosaurs, with the T-rex, velociraptor and triceratops all featuring. The main characters from the film, including Lex Murphy, John Hammond and Ian Malcolm also feature. There is a wild symbol, which is the Jurassic Park logo. The most important symbol of all is the mosquito in amber. This is the scatter symbol, which also triggers the bonus round with 3+ anywhere on the reels. When you get 2 the next reels are surrounded by a glow, and speed up before stopping.
My one gripe is that when you win the total accumulates in the ‘win’ box at the bottom slowly. Since the total win is not displayed anywhere else, this is annoying sometimes. If you click spin, this will show the total amount for a second before the reels start – though you do not have the chance to do this in the free spins rounds.
On a positive note, you’ll see the occasional stacked wilds during regular play. These can add some welcome wins while you wait for the free spins or T-Rex alert features.
You can play Jurassic Park over at the award-winning 32 Red Casino - www.32red.com
Jurassic Park Slot Bonus Rounds
The T-Rex alert is unique, this is triggered randomly and involves paid-for spins with special wilds. The background starts moving behind the symbols, and will shake when you hear the thud of the approaching T-Rex. Wilds appear randomly on the reels, and the T-Rex symbols become stacked, creating a lot of winning combinations.
When you hit 3+ Amber symbols, you’ll trigger one of 5 different free spins rounds with different behaviours. You’ll see a DNA analysis screen, which will select the bonus for you until you have seen the bonus game 25 times – at which point you will get to choose which you prefer.
Here are the different combinations, each is named after a dinosaur, and comes complete with animations.
- T-Rex Free Spins: 12 Spins, T-Rex appears and causes entire reels to become stacked wilds at random intervals. The T-Rex symbol is also stacked.
- Velociraptor Free Spins: 12 Spins with splitting wilds (which make 6 of a kind possible, paying 2x 5-of a kind) and multiplier wilds, which are wilds with up to 6x multipliers attached. Velociraptors are stacked too.
- Triceratops Free Spins: 12 Spins again, this time with a new idea called ‘Running Wilds’ these stack until they cover the reels, at which point they stay. You can also ‘nudge’ them into place to get stacked up. The Triceratops are stacked.
- Brachiosaurus Free Spins: 12 Spins, this time there are random multipliers awarded to some spins, up to 6x. Free spins can be retriggered in this round and the Brachiosaurus is stacked.
- Dilophosaurus Free Spins: 12 Spins with random wilds, which are called ‘Winning Wilds’ in this game, these stay in place as long as they are contributing to a win and the Diolophosaurus is stacked.
All of these are excellent value, and if you are lucky enough to get a decent percentage of the reels covered by stacked wilds, you could end up with the 475,000 coin maximum win this way.
Device Compatibility of the Jurassic Park Slot
This slot has not yet been adapted for dedicated apps (iPhone or Android), though it can be played on mobile devices using the MicroGaming ‘Viper’ responsive browser technology.
Final Thoughts – How Does Jurassic Park Match-up?
I can see why this slot became a hit, and it is not just the cool dinosaur tie-in (though this is a fun theme). It is the balance of game-play and features which happen often enough to keep you interested – without constantly interrupting you. This slot looks great, with the shifting backgrounds for the T-Rex Alert and bonus feature rounds an excellent addition. The dinosaur effects are deliberately jump-inducing in places, and the animations on the reels recreate the original movie very well too.
Big thumbs up for this game, and I look forward to the next edition based on the 2015 Blockbuster movie too. You can try this great slot (and get £32 in bonuses for every £20 deposited) at the acclaimed UK-licensed 32 Red Casino – check out Jurassic Park at www.32red.com now!
More Big Titles from MicroGaming:
- ThunderStruck 2 (as far as I am aware this is the single most popular non-progressive jackpot slot anywhere)
- Immortal Romance Slot Review (if you prefer vampires to Norse Gods, then this is the game for you)
- Teminator 2 (dark, with that sinister edge... a great slot!)