- Biggest Sportsbook welcoming US players in 2020
- Experience going back to 1994 (as part of the Bodog brand)
- Top rated for promotions and always step these up for the major sporting events
Betting Online at the US-Friendly Bovada Sportsbook
Bovada started life in 2011, but being under the Bodog umbrella, they have experience stretching all the way back to 1994. This is not only one of the best offshore sportsbooks, it is also the best trusted. Bovada has a track record of great service and prompt payouts going back a long way.
This brand is more than just a great sportsbook. They cover all of the main types of gambling. This includes a casino, a live dealer casino, poker room and a racebook. This this review focuses on the sportsbook, with the latest 2020 features and markets covered.
You’ll find enough detail to get you off to the best possible start at the Bovada sportsbook below. This includes details of 2 welcome bonuses, the types of bet you can place and getting your money safely on board and profits back out.
Best Welcome Bonuses at the Bovada Sportsbook
$250 Sports Betting Welcome Bonus
The first bonus offer you’ll see at Bovada is the ‘$250 Sports Welcome Bonus’. This is one of two deals which are open to all new customers – no bonus code or special links are required. On clicking on the promotion you’ll head to a new page detailing the bonus. There are some terms and conditions – along with a ‘Claim Now’ button to receive your bonus funds.
This initial promotion is a 50% deposit bonus. Deposit $100 for example, and you’ll receive $50 in bonus funds. The maximum bonus amount is $250 (when depositing $500 or more). To clear this bonus, you’ll need to ‘rollover’ the deposit and the bonus amount five times – that $100 deposit and $50 bonus, for example, will require you to wager $750 ($150 x 5) to clear the full bonus.
A rollover is standard procedure for sportsbook bonuses and a 5x rollover is competitive. The bonus can also be cleared at the racebook and casino, although play at the casino requires a 30x rollover.
Alternative Bovada Welcome Offer: $750 Bitcoin Sports Bonus
If you were thinking of using Bitcoin as a deposit option, there is an initial welcome bonus of $750 available. This is a 75% deposit bonus, with the same 5x rollover requirement, with maximum bonus funds of $750 (when making a deposit of $1,000 or more).
Bitcoin is clearly the bonus method of choice for Bovada, offering faster withdrawals and ease of deposits alongside this increased welcome bonus. You will need to get set up at an exchange, though that is a one-off process which will make transacting with all online sportsbooks easier.
For more details of the Bovada bitcoin bonus, see www.bovada.lv
Bovada Sportsbook Review: Ongoing Rewards
In addition to the two welcome bonuses, existing customers will enjoy the generous Bovada Rewards Program. Every time you place a bet at the sportsbook or the racebook, or head to the casino and play, you’ll earn reward points. The scheme has six levels – you’ll begin as a ‘starter’, before moving up levels through ‘rookie’, ‘pro’, ‘all-star’, ‘legend’ and the highest ‘hall of fame’ level.
You’ll earn points at the following rate:
- Singles – 3 points for every dollar you wager.
- Teasers – 15 points for every dollar you wager.
- Round Robins – 25 points for every dollar you wager.
- Parlays – 15 points for every dollar you wager.
At the ‘starter’ level you can redeem $1 for every 2,500 points you earn, while this number reduces as you move through the levels (at ‘hall of fame’ level, you’ll earn $1 for every 1,000 points).
The more points you earn, the higher level you’ll reach. You can also earn points by gambling at both the casino and the racebook. All of the benefits, points schedules and rewards are explained in detail over at www.bovada.lv
The Bovada Sportsbook – Design and Usability
On entering the sportsbook you’ll be met with the familiar red, white and blue color scheme Bovada is known for. The site sticks to the tried and trusted sportsbook layout of three sections – columns to the left and right and the larger central section for the betting action.
The left-hand column is where you’ll find the menu bar which features the ‘Quick Links’ you’ll need to navigate to the biggest sporting events. While you’ll find the standard links to sports such as football across the top of the page, these quick links take you direct to the NFL or NCAA football betting.
This menu column is smaller than you would usually find at a sportsbook, telling you that the focus at Bovada is on the biggest events / major leagues.
Bovada Betting Lines Including Live Betting
It’s in the large central portion of the page where you’ll find all of the betting action. At the top is a colorful banner detailing latest offers, promotions and updates, with the odds below. When first entering the site, you’ll be met with the latest ‘live’ betting odds, so you can get straight into the ongoing action. Here you’ll find the latest odds, as well as the score and the time remaining in the game – no need to seek out the score elsewhere!
Navigate to your sport of choice using either the left-hand menu, or the sports links across the top of the page (the full list of sports can be found by clicking on the ‘All Sports A-Z’ button) and the page will fill with the appropriate odds.
For the popular big US leagues, the point spread, totals and money line markets will be displayed by default, while a number next to the team names tells you how many additional markets are available on the event. Click on this number and you’ll see them all. A handy option on this central column is the odds display feature – you can choose whether to use American, Decimal or Fractional odds.
Using the Bet Slip
In the right-hand column you’ll find the bet-slip. Click on any selection and it will auto-fill in the bet slip, where you’ll enter your stake (named ‘risk’ at Bovada) and see the potential return. Enter more than one selection and multiples options such as Parlay and Round Robin will appear in the bet slip. You can also ‘buy points’ in the bet slip – those extra points meaning you’ll be given slightly reduced odds.
Types of Bets Offered at the Bovada Sportsbook
At Bovada Sportsbook you’ll find a whole range of bet types available, giving you the power to bet in exactly the way that you want. Here is a run-down of all of the different bet types:
- Point Spread – This is perhaps the most popular wager of all, where you’ll be betting on whether your selection ‘beats the spread’. Underdogs will have points added to even up the contest, with Bovada usually offering the same -110 odds on both sides. In baseball, you have the run-line where the underdog has 1.5 runs added, while in hockey you have the puck-line where the underdog has 1.5 goals added.
- Money Line – With the money line, you are simply betting on which of the two teams will win the contest. Expect short odds for the favored team and long odds for the underdog if the game is one-sided, or odds closer to the point spread if it looks like a more even contest.
- Totals – When betting on totals you’ll be betting on whether the total number of points in the game (by both teams combined) will be under/over a stated total. Once again, the total will be set at a number where each side of the best offers the same -110 odds.
- Parlay – A parlay is a bet where you’ll make between 2 and 12 selections. Every single leg of the bet has to win, so the downside is that you could have 5 out of 6 winners and not pick up a cent. However, the upside is exciting, as you can receive incredible pay outs if all legs of a parlay win.
- Teaser – A teaser is a type of parlay where you can change the point spread slightly in your favor on each selection, making a winning teaser easier than a parlay. You’ll receive slightly lower odds on a teaser than a parlay.
- Round Robin – These are wagers where you can create multiple parlays at once. For example, you could make three selections, where you’ll enjoy one three-team parlay, and three two-team parlays (on each of these two team parlays, one of the three selections is left out). This gives you the opportunity of placing a parlay-type bet where you can still win if a selection lets you down. Round Robin bets are available when you make between 3 and 8 selections.
- Futures – A futures wager is a long-term bet, usually based on an entire season. For example, you could place a futures wager on a team to win the World Series before the season starts, or on the Super Bowl Winner mid-way through the regular season.
- Props – These are bets within a game which are different to your standard bets. For example, you could place a bet on a particular player’s performance within a game, or the score at the end of a quarter. Prop bets become very popular around the time of the Super Bowl and March Madness.
Sports Coverage at Bovada: Betting Markets Overview
Large icons at the top of the page display the major sports covered at Bovada, with the ‘All Sports’ button on the right-side bringing up the full selection. Here’s a look at the coverage you can expect:
Major US Sports Leagues – In the NFL, the NBA, Major League Baseball and the NHL you’ll find betting options at every game throughout the season. As well as the popular point spread, totals and money lines there’ll be a host of other markets available for each game, as well as futures options for those who like to take a longer view.
Soccer – With action taking place all over the world, the coverage of soccer is excellent at Bovada. See the latest odds on the big European leagues, Major League Soccer and the big international competitions, including the men and women’s world cup and the Olympic Games.
Tennis – The biggest tours on the planet feature, including the ATP, the WTA, lower tier events and of course the four Grand Slams.
Golf – Wagers are available on all of the PGA tour events, plus many other events around the world, and the four Majors.
UFC/MMA – Betting markets are available for all the biggest bouts in both boxing and mixed martial arts.
All in all, at time of writing, there were 29 sports offering betting markets. Alongside those listed above, you could also enjoy betting on cycling, darts, rugby union/rugby league, snooker, volleyball and many more.
Bovada Sportsbook on the Move
To enjoy mobile betting at Bovada, head to bovada.lv where you can enjoy all of the above betting options.
Unlike many other sportsbooks, there isn’t a dedicated app you’ll download. However, the mobile site does look and feel exactly the same as a mobile app, with a set up designed specifically for mobile devices. This will work on both iPhones and Android smartphones.
Deposit Options at the Bovada Sportsbook
It’s already clear from the promotion on offer, that Bovada’s deposit method of choice is via Bitcoin, while there are several other options for customers to enjoy. Here is a rundown of each:
- Bitcoin – If you want to enjoy the biggest bonus and no transaction fees, Bitcoin is your best deposit option at Bovada. If you’ve never used Bitcoin before, there is a handy video talking you through the steps of purchasing the currency, adding it to a wallet and then making a deposit.
- Other Cryptocurrencies – Alongside Bitcoin you can also make a deposit using Bitcoin Cash or Zelle (which uses ACH).
- Vouchers – As a member of the Bovada sportsbook you’ll have the opportunity to send or receive vouchers. A player can simply select ‘voucher’ from the cash-out screen and then send the voucher code to another player, seeing the other player with added funds immediately.
- Credit/Debit Cards – Your final option is to deposit via debit or credit cards, including Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Union Pay. Making a deposit using this method can attract oversize fees, with minimum fees of 5.9% on every deposit made after the first one. It’s clear that Bovada are steering you away from this deposit method, with Bitcoin the preferred option.
Customer Service Options at Bovada Sportsbook
On heading to the help page at Bovada you’ll be met by a series of topics at the top of the page – click on any of these and you’ll find appropriate questions and answers for that topic. Scroll down and you’ll find information about the Bovada community, which you can also use to ask questions (as well as adding a social element to the site), while ‘help’ videos are also supplied. You can also email a member of the team direct on their contact us page.
At the bottom of the site is a link to their ‘Responsible Gaming’ page, where you’ll find a checklist to aid you in identifying whether gambling has become a problem, as well as links to a variety of responsible gaming companies. The site also offers self-exclusion.
Other Types of Gambling with the Bovada Brand
If you enjoy poker, horse racing bets or casino games in addition to sports betting – then Bovada have you covered.
This is the single biggest US friendly poker room. It offers anonymous play, which means a fresh start every time you sit down at a new table – and protects against sharks using (banned) software tracking tools. There is an app offering fast-fold poker, and a big tournament schedule.
Bovada casino has slots, electronic table games and a live-dealer studio. With the live casino games you are betting on hands dealt by a croupier in real time. Many of the slots (from RTG, Rival Gaming and others) have huge progressive jackpots.
Horse racing betting fans can bet on tracks around the country, and the bigger international fixtures. While the major events like the Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup get all the publicity, there are multiple race meetings – every day during the summer season.
Each of these areas have their own welcome bonuses and promotions.
In Summary - Bovada Sportsbook Review – The Best Offshore Sportsbook?
As one of the largest names in sports betting, you can rest assured that when it comes to experience as a sportsbook, Bovada has few equals.
With a huge range of markets, every big game on the planet is covered, with competitive odds available on all markets – while the range of wagering options ensure that whether you bet singles, parlays or round robins, they’ve got you covered. When you join Bovada, it’s a good idea to use Bitcoin to make your deposits. You’ll not only get bigger and better bonus deals; you’ll be able to deposit and withdraw very quickly. Your funds will be held in dollars while in your Bovada account, protecting you from any volatility in the crypto markets.
Bovada have a super-long track record. They are the best trusted offshore sportsbook brand. Check them out for yourself now over at www.bovada.lv
More Popular Pages Covering Bovada / Offshore Sportsbooks